There’s a crisp breeze in the air, kids are back in school, and it’s time for some fall family fun! We’re lucky to live in an area with so much to do. I know weekends can get busy with kids in school, sports, and other extra-curricular activities. But, I hope you can find something fun for any age on my Fall Bucket List below!
I rounded up some fun activities that your family will love. I list some of my favorite activities, and I definitely checked out the Lake Country Family Fun (LCFF) website for some information as well. If you’re not already doing so, I highly recommend following LCFF on Instagram and/or Facebook for all their guides.
Without further ado, here’s my Lake Country Fall Bucket List!
7 Fall Activities to Do with Your Family
1. Pick Apples – Is there anything better than the smell of an apple pie baking in the oven on a cool fall day!? Luckily, our area has several apple orchards with great apple picking. One of my favorite places is Peck and Bushel in Colgate because they are a certified organic orchard. Did you know that apples are on the “dirty dozen” list? If you’re not familiar with this list, it’s composed of the top 12 dirtiest fruits and veggies with regard to the number of pesticides used to grow them. I love that this orchard doesn’t use harmful pesticides to grow their fruit. See their website for more information.
2. Visit a Pumpkin Patch – Pumpkin carving has become a sport in my household. Spending an hour or two at the pumpkin patch is lots of fun for kids of all ages. We have so many great pumpkin patches nearby. We’ve been going to Ebert’s Greenhouse Village in Ixonia for years. They have tons of activities such as pumpkin launching, a children’s train, hayrides, pumpkin bowling, and more! My favorite part is the gorgeous mums all around the beautiful property, which lends itself to the most gorgeous backdrop for photos of my children while we are there! If this doesn’t sound up your alley, we’ve also been to Basse’s in Colgate and enjoyed our experience, and I’ve heard really good things about Cozy Nook in Waukesha/Wales. You can’t go wrong!
3. Check Out the Fall Colors – Taking in the fall colors is a must-do fall bucket list item! Head to Lapham Peak State Park in Delafield to climb the tower for a great view. If you’re feeling adventurous, check out my other post with a family weekend trip to Marinette, WI, to an up north getaway to see the fall colors up there!
4. Enjoy a Fall Hike – Take a fall family hike to take in the colors and the crisp fall air! Devil’s Lake State Park isn’t too far away and is gorgeous this time of year! Otherwise, if you’d like to keep it a bit closer, Retzer Nature Center in Waukesha has shorter trails for little ones, or head to Pike Lake State Park in Hartford for some nice hiking!
5. Visit a Haunted House (Or Ghost walk) – This activity is definitely for older children. One haunted house experience I’ve heard good things about is the Wisconsin Feargrounds at the Waukesha Expo Center. There are a few Ghost Walks in our area as well that offer more spooky storytelling than just scary. One of those is the Waukesha Ghost Walks. Again, this is for older children, so make sure you look into these activities first!
6. Check out a Lake Country Fall Festival – We have so many fun fall festivals in SE Wisconsin. There’s one almost every weekend throughout the fall. One of our favorites is the German Christmas Market in Oconomowoc the weekend of Thanksgiving. It’s so charming! The Lake Country Family Fun Fall Festival guide has the most up-to-date and accurate information. You can view that here.
7. Take Fall Family Portraits – Finally, take fall family portraits! The weather is cooler outside, and layers look amazing in portraits. Let’s update your home with some beautiful new wall art you can enjoy with all the extra time you’ll be spending indoors once the cold weather hits. You will treasure these forever! What better time is there to hit the pause button and enjoy your beautiful family than this fall?
Your Lake Country Family Portrait Photographer
As you can tell, I love living in Lake Country! We have so much to do around here, and you can find an activity for any age of children. Fall tends to be my busy season with fall family portraits and senior portrait sessions, so please reach out soon if you are interested in scheduling a session with me!